Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Start Walking CL!

For about twenty years, prior to my diagnosis, I walked about two miles every day.  I loved walking and it was as much a part of my routine as taking a shower or eating dinner.  I almost never missed a day.  When I was still teaching first grade, there were many times at the end of a day that I told myself I was just too tired and I didn’t think I would be able to go for my walk when I got home.  However, by the time I made my short three mile commute home, my mind had changed and I was compelled to go for my walk.  It was almost like some unknown force was making me go.  Oh, how I wish that force was still with me.

Since I have been ill and through all my treatments, I have found it very difficult to make myself get back into my walking routine.  I know it is vitally important for my overall health and I am feeling well enough now to do it.  It is true that my energy level and stamina are not up to par and I think that figures into my reluctance to “Just Do It” as Nike advises.   

I think the answer for me is to set these small attainable goals that will get me back walking:

Goal #1:   Walk for 20 minutes 3 times a week. 
Goal #2:   After two weeks, increase number of walks to  4 times a week.
Goal #3:   Gradually increase the number of walks per week and the length from 20    minutes to   30 minutes.

Now  that I have this in print and posted on my blog, it will hold my feet to the fire so to speak.  I am going to need that incentive.  I walked my 20 minutes today and it felt like work.  If I remember correctly, back twenty years ago when I first started walking on a daily basis, it felt like work then, too.  However, I was twenty years younger and healthy then so it was "easier" work!

The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance website has an aptly titled article by  Amy Poffenbarger:

You don’t have to be a triathlete. You just have to try!






2 comments:

  1. hello, carole, i hope you get back to walking - to feel joy, accomplishment, and a reconnection with something good to look forward to. good you are taking baby steps, breaking it down so you don't get discouraged. and i bet there are friends who still long to be of some help - think about reaching out and asking for some company on those walks. it will make both of you feel so good. i'm here, cheering you on!

    love, karen sutherland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen,
      Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I appreciate the thought of you cheering me on. :)

      Love,
      Carole Leigh

      Delete