Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Making it Through

My book club is reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles this month and I am enjoying it immensely. To paraphrase the description on the cover, it is the story of a chance encounter in 1937 and the startling consequences that propel the heroine  on a yearlong journey toward the upper echelons of New York society. 

Since my diagnosis of multiple myeloma, I find that more often now I find thoughts and ideas that strike a chord with me in the books that I am reading and I know my emotions are closer to the surface causing me to be moved more easily by philosophical thought. Yesterday, I read such a passage in this book that made me stop and read it again and then write the page number on the back of my bookmark  knowing that I would want to return to it.  Let me share it with you:

My father was never much one for whining.  In the nineteen years I knew him, he hardly spoke of his turn in the Russian army, or of making ends meet with my mother, or the day that she walked out on us.  He certainly didn't complain about his health as it failed.

But one night near the end, as I was sitting at his bedside trying to entertain him with an anecdote about some nincompoop with whom I worked, out of the blue he shared a reflection which seemed such a non sequitur that I attributed it to delirium.  Whatever setbacks he had faced in his life, he said, however daunting or dispiriting the unfolding of events, he always knew that he would make it through, as long as when he woke in the morning he was looking forward to his first cup of coffee.  Only decades later would I realize that he had been giving me a piece of advice.......When a person loses the ability to take pleasure  in the mundane.....she has probably put herself in unnecessary danger......one must be prepared to fight for one's simple pleasures.....


If we lose the joy of simple pleasures, we risk losing that which enriches our day to day lives and gives us hope. I am someone who loves to get up in the morning and read the newspapers and drink freshly ground coffee.  If the day ever comes when I have lost interest in such small pleasures, I will fear that I am losing resolve and, more importantly, hope.  I believe that continuing to look forward to something as ordinary as a hot cup of coffee each morning  could be a metaphor for "making it through" and having hope for the future.  
My Morning Coffee
Savoring my morning coffee  - check! 
Reading the newspapers - check!

Completing the New York Times Crossword - check!  
Enjoying simple pleasures - check! 

 

10 comments:

  1. Wonder of wonders, Carole Leigh! Today, I got notice of this posting in my email box. Now, that is a simple pleasure for which I am grateful.

    I also agree with the wisdom from the passage you quoted. Whatever it is that gives us "moments of joy" , we are to grab them and cherish them and give thanks.

    Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My my sister-in-law got email notification for the first time too. I didn't make it happen.....I have know idea how to that, but I am glad it finally worked.

      Love,
      CL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. It means a lot to me to know that you were moved by this post. :)
      Love,
      Carole Leigh

      Delete
  3. dear carole leigh,

    so good to hear you are embracing the joys of ordinary days. always feeling one has things to look forward to is a marvelous gift not everyone cultivates or, indeed, is satisfied with. even in the midst of troubles and uncertainty, you are blessed with being able to see yourself through with all you are able to appreciate.

    when i was first diagnosed with breast cancer, i was reading a review of a book in the NYT's by jeanette winterson and i came across these words:

    "what we notice in stories is the nearness of the wound to the gift."

    i found that so relevant to how my eyes were opened and my senses sharpened to all the good and beautiful aspects of life that enrich and enhance and sustain hope and being able to live in the moment. your lovely post reflects that is true for you, too.

    love, XOXO

    karen, TC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen,
      Thank you for sharing that powerful quote. My senses have certainly been sharpened since this all began and one of the surprises to me has been my diagnosis came with gifts. I could never have imagined that if I lived to be 150!
      Love,
      Carole Leigh

      Delete
  4. I think I will make arrangements to get that book to read... that is also one of my favorite things to do, curled up with a cup of Earl Grey... and like you I will fight for that small pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl Grey! My favorite tea! Have you ever tried Lavender Earl Grey. I do love that too.

      I am just about finished with the book (it seems to take me longer to finish a book now) and it has been a very good read. The author's writing style really appeals to me.
      Love,
      Carole Leigh

      Delete
  5. I love the first line of your last paragraph: If we lose the joy of simple pleasures, we risk losing that which enriches our day to day lives and gives us hope. So true!! We must never lose sight of that which brings us joy and hope, even something as routine as our morning cup of coffee. Makes me want to get back to grinding fresh coffee beans for the added treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do recommend getting back to fresh ground coffee. I wonder if the fact that I live in the Seattle Metropolitan area has anything to do with that! :)

      Love,
      Carole Leigh

      Delete