Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Remission


At a recent appointment with my oncologist , he confirmed that I am in remission with no sign of disease. I always thought I would be jumping with joy at that news, but my reaction has been a little more subdued. I am eternally thankful for this wonderful news and I am very happy. However, it is really hard to comprehend that I have finally reached this goal. The last two years have been spent fighting this cancer and putting it into remission. It has been all cancer all the time. Now I have a future ahead of me without multiple myeloma being my central focus, at least for a while. I feel like I need to set some goals and make a difference, somehow, now that I have the gift of life more firmly in my future. I don’t know how long my remission will be, but I want to make the most of the time I have and not waste a precious moment.  The reality of what remission means is slowly sinking in……….and I feel fortunate, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Carole! Isn't that FABULOUS news??!! I am SO very happy for you, kiddo! Dom is still in CR...July will be 3 years....

    I remember when they told us that he just needed to come in for the M Spike test every 3 months...we didn't know what we were going to do with ourselves... so used to running into the Cancer Center constantly for infusions, blood work, etc.

    I'm TICKLED for you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Dom for his continued remission. He is an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete