Monday, February 27, 2012

Gifts


12/17/11 
Throughout the last two years, I have learned that I am both physically and mentally stronger than I ever thought I could be and to realize this is a gift.  I had always felt that if I was ever diagnosed with cancer or some other catastrophic disease, I would probably just crumple into heap on the floor and not be able to face it.  However, that is not what has happened and I am so thankful for the physical, mental and emotional strength I found I had during this ordeal.  
  
I have also learned that I have a large circle of family and friends who care about me very much and that is a wonderful gift. My husband, Brent, has been my knight in shining armor throughout this difficult time in my life and I just can’t imagine facing it without him.  My daughter has been another source of amazing support. My son and daughter-in-law even wrote a song for me to express their feelings at the beginning of all this. They are my gifts. As a member of Alpha Delta Kappa, International Honorary Organization for Women Educators and a past International Vice President and Executive Board Member, I have received hundreds of cards and notes and well wishes from across the organization.  My Alpha Delta Kappa friends have been like an extended family as they have supported me through my illness.  My school district friends and colleagues have been a constant source of encouragement and caring and my high school classmates have been as well.  It is a gift to know I am cared for by all these people. 

On a lighter note, I also received the gift of better hair and nails!  My hair grew back with some curl and body that it never had before and my fingernails are much stronger.  

 Lesson learned:  

Gifts can be found in even the most difficult of circumstances.



No comments:

Post a Comment